Finding rare, limited, one-off, special beers at the Washington Brewers Festival
June 16, 2017 - 7:05 AM- by Kendall Jones, Washington Beer Blog -
This weekend at the Washington Brewers Festival (June 16 thru 18 at Marymoor Park in Redmond) you'll have no trouble finding good beer on tap at every turn, with 131 breweries pouring about 600 different beers; however, some breweries will offer special beers that might deserve a little extra attention. The list we share below includes beers that will be poured IN ADDITION to those mentioned on the official list or that are planned to be poured only a specific times.
Many of these beers will be available for a limited time only -- tapped at a certain time and only available while the supply lasts. I'm talking about special beers, one-off beauties, infused brews, small-batch curios, barrel-aged masterpieces, and so on. Below I share information about some of those beers and when you can get them.
These are beer that breweries will pour beyond the other, more-regular beers they'll pour at the festival. There are plenty of great beers that are not on this list because the breweries plan to pour them all weekend. Arm yourself with information; take a good long look at the complete beer list.
Also, many breweries plan to pour special "Friday only" beers. Those are noted on the complete beer list.
Attention Breweries! If you have something special that you'll tap into at the fest, at a particular time and in limited quantity, please feel free to email me and say so. I will add to this post as I receive more information. kjones @ washingtonbeerblog.com.
Beardslee Public House
SAT 2PM - Special Release: Elijah Craig Bourbon Barrel Aged Sidewinder Stout.
Farmstrong recently brewed a Fiery Saison. What's that? Check out our story about it. They will tap into the beer each day at the festival, in limited quantity. They'll have tapping times posted at their booth.
Flying Bike Cooperative Brewery
Available most of the weekend, but not on the official list:
TROPICAL HEAT IPA -- Our juicy house IPA infused with mango as well as habenero, jalepeno, and serrano peppers. A clean, fresh pepper flavor well balanced by the alluring sweetness of mangoes.
SUN DECK WHEAT with STRAWBERRY and MINT -- Our zippy, summery wheat beer infused with fresh strawberries simmered with fresh mint leaves, and sweetened with a touch of lactose. Sweet and savory intermingle gently in this festival-exclusive beer.
Foggy Noggin Brewing
(FRI) Fn Rye IPA English IPA (8.1% ABV 58 IBU)
(SAT) Fn Spruce Tip IPA English IPA (7.4% ABV 90 IBU)
(SUN) Fn Centennial IPA English IPA (5.1% ABV 56 IBU)
The rotating tap will feature:
- 5pm: Coffee Cinnamon B-Bomb, Barrel Aged Winter Ale
- 7pm: Black Heron Project: Brett French Saison
- 11am: Perennial / Fremont Collaboration, Barrel Aged Stout with Cherries
- 1pm: Black Heron Project: Viognier Silence, Golden Ale Refermented in Oak with Viognier Grapes
- 3pm: 2017 Rusty Nail, Barrel Aged Stout with Cinnamon, Licorice, & Smoked Barley
- 5pm: White Heron Project: Foeder Wine, Foeder Aged Golden Barley Wine
- 7pm: Spice Wars Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star
- 11:30am: 2017 Rusty Nail, Barrel Aged Stout with Cinnamon, Licorice, & Smoked Barley
- 1:30pm: Black Heron Project: Dark Saison with Brett
- 3:30pm: Perennial / Fremont Collaboration, Barrel Aged Stout with Cherries
Friday only beers:
- Grapefruit-Infused Tremé: IPA (6.9% ABV)
- Campfire: Mesquite-smoked, reaper pepper infused porter (6.5% ABV)
- Ragin’ Cajun: Imperial IPA (8.5%)
The Harmon will be pouring it's last keg of Shinto Dark Sour this weekend at the fest. Shinto dark sour: 3 different bourbon barrels were blended together to create Shinto dark sour. A combination of Stryker Stout, Expedition Amber and sour cherries plus lactobacillus. Shinto Dark Sour was aged for a combination of 52 months. 7.3%ABV, 46 IBU’s
Iron Goat Brewing
The rotating tap will feature:
- 4PM Gin Barrel-aged Head Butt IPA
- 6PM Göatorhead Triple IPA
- 8PM Mixed Fermentation Sour
- 11AM Passion Fruit Guava Sour
- 1PM Göatorhead Triple IPA
- 3PM Bourbon Barrel-aged Cap'n Kidd Scotch
- 5PM Gin Barrel-aged Head Butt IPA
- 7PM Mixed Fermentation Sour
- 11:30AM Passion Fruit Guava Sour
- 1PM Bourbon Barrel-aged Cap'n Kidd Scotch
- 3PM Gin Barrel-aged Head Butt IPA
- 4:00-6:00 - Peanut butter Oatmeal Stout (7.3% ABV)
- 6:00-8:00 - Pineapple Pale Ale (6.5% ABV)
- 8:00-9:30 - Walnut, Almond, Coconut & Coffee Porter (6.2% ABV)
- 11:00-1:00 - Lavender IPA (5.4% ABV)
- 1:00-3:00 - Strawberry & Vanilla Coffee Wheat (4.2% ABV)
- 3:00-5:00 - Tangerine IPA (7% ABV)
- 5:00-7:00 - Sriracha Stout (5.8% ABV)
- 7:00-9:00 - Blueberry Amber (6% ABV)
- 11:30-1:30 - Watermelon Blonde Ale (5.7% ABV)
- 1:30-3:30 - Fennel Seed & Cucumber IPA (6.1% ABV)
- 3:30-5:30 - Ginger & Lemongrass Kolsch (5.5% ABV)
No-Li Brewhouse (specials and one-offs)
Mint Chocolate Chip Rise & Grind - 6.1% ABV, 22 IBU. Cool minty-freshness melds with rich chocolaty goodness to assemble this drinkable dessert beer.
Unbreakable Imperial Sour - 7.8% ABV, 32 IBU. This Imperial Sour features Pale and Caramel malt, Zeus, Mosaic and Idaho 7 hops with Pink Guava and Blueberries.
Mack Daiquiri - 7.2% ABV, 36 IBU. Orange, coconut, and raspberry swirling together in a creamy concoction of March Forth whisk you away on a journey you won't soon forget.
- 4pm: Hogus Maximus Extremis Barrel Aged Triple IPA 14.1% ABV/50 IBU
- 4pm: Brett Barrel Aged Transverse Wheat IPA 7.0% ABV/48 IBU
- 4pm: Kilty MacPumpkin Scottish Ale 5.7% ABV/18 IBU
- 4pm: Grapefruit Summer Kölsch 3.8% ABV/20 IBU
- 6pm: Evans Kriek Flanders Red with Pie Cherry
- 7pm: Barrel Aged Wheat Wine 9.2% ABV/40 IBU
- 7pm: Demon Star Imperial Stout 9.7% ABV/65 IBU
- 8pm: Brett Barrel Aged Alpha Factor IPA 7.3% ABV/64 IBU
- 11am: Alison’s Hibiscus Hippie in Paradise (Pro-Am) 6.8% ABV/24 IBU
- 11am: Hazelnut Cram Session Coffee Porter 5.8% ABV/28 IBU
- 11am: Brett Barrel Aged Alpha Factor IPA 7.3% ABV/64 IBU
- 11am: Mango Kölsch 3.8% ABV/20 IBU
- 2pm: Hive Mind Session IPA (Mollusk Collaboration)
- 3pm: Kilty MacPumpkin Scottish Ale 5.7% ABV/18 IBU
- 3pm: Mojito Blondilocks 4.6% ABV/16 IBU
- 4pm: Evans Kriek Flanders Red with Pie Cherry
- 5pm: Hogus Maximus Extremis Barrel Aged Triple IPA 14.1% ABV/50 IBU
- 7pm: Port Barrel Saison with Brett 5.9% ABV/14 IBU
- 11:30am: Brett Barrel Gose 5.2% ABV/25 IBU
- 11:30am: Who’s your daddy? Hazy IPA 6.4% ABV/50 IBU
- 11:30am: Salted Caramel Cram Session Coffee Porter 5.2% ABV/28 IBU
- 11:30am: Momosa Orange Radler 7.3% ABV/32 IBU
- 1pm: Hogus Maximus Extremis Barrel Aged Triple IPA 14.1% ABV/50 IBU
- 3pm: Evans Kriek Flanders Red with Pie Cherry
- 3pm: Pineapple Kölsch 4.3% ABV/22 IBU
- Cucumber Gose (4.3% ABV)
- Cask: International-style Juice (6% ABV)
Saturday Rotating Taps:
- Noon: Sauvignon Blanc Barrel Aged Saison (6.9% ABV)
- 2 p.m.: Mole Stout (9.7% ABV)
- 4 p.m.: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout (11.9% ABV)
- Raspberries in Berlin (3.2% ABV)
- Cask: Crikey that's Fruity (6.8% ABV)
Sunday Rotating Taps:
- Noon: Imperial Plum Porter (Breakside Collaboration) (9.3% ABV)
- 2 p.m.: 2016 Bourbon Barrel Breakfast Stout (10.0% ABV)
- 4 p.m.: 2016 Bourbon Barrel Auld Heritage. (10.8% ABV)
Silver City Brewery
Here's what you'll find througout the weekend on the rotating taps:
- 2017 Charming DisarmerPeach Sour (6% ABV)
- 2017 Chardonnay Barrel Aged Luminous Libation Belgian Style
- Tripel (9.9% ABV)
- 2016 Bourbon Barrel Aged Time Traveler Imperial Stout (9.9% ABV)
- 2017 Foxy Lady Flanders Sour Red Ale (6% ABV)
- 2016 Big Magnificent Bastard Barrel Aged Fat Scotch Ale (9.9% ABV)
Rotating IPAs (throughout the weekend):
- Mosaic Monster
- Please & Thank You
- Vic Secret
Top Rung Brewing
Friday Evening: Whiskey Barrel Aged Heavy Irons Double IPA: This limited release beer is aged in Sandstone Distillery whiskey barrels then given a hefty dry hop, the big brother to our Prying Irons IPA, the Heavy Irons Double IPA carry’s a punch while maintaining a nice well rounded bitterness but smooth finish with the aroma and warmth of whiskey. The IRONS are traditionally a flat head axe and halligan bar used in firefighting for forcible entry. ABV: 9%; IBU: 100+.
Saturday Afternoon: Whiskey Barrel Aged Pyrolysis Imperial Stout: This limited edition beer has been aged in Sandstone Whiskey barrels. The warmth and flavor of Whiskey melds with the roasty goodness of Pyrolysis. Made with Black Prinz, Pale Chocolate, ESB Malt, and Sterling and Willamette hops. The big brother to our My Dog Scout Stout with notes of chocolate and roast that will warm you up inside. Get it before its gone! ABV: 11% ; IBU: 57
3 Rotating Cask Beers Daily w/ limited supply
- Wicked Pissah New England Style IPA
- Raspberry Shandy
- Enabler ISA w/ Ella
- Maraschino Cherry and Pineapple Gose
- Blueberry Pomagranate Wheat
- Landwink w/ Citra
- Huckleberry Gose
- Oak aged Porter
- Pineapple Orange Wheat
Two Beers Brewing
- (Sat 11-2) Lima Loca Margarita Shandy (3.8% ABV 21 IBU). Lima Loca (our Mexican style lager w/ lime) infused with agave limeade, rosemary,sea salt and tequila soaked oak chips.
- (Sat 2-? & SUN AM) East Coast Pale (5.7% ABV 30 IBU). Something special from our Head Brewer, Jesse.
- (Sat ?-close & SUN AM) Kettle Sour Wonderland Trail IPA (7.1% ABV 78 IBU). An exciting new take on our popular Wonderland Trail IPA.
- (SUN AM) “Runners’ High” Cask (double dry hopped Day Hike Summer Ale)