Strange Brewfest 2015. These go to 11
January 2, 2015 - 3:04 PM- by Kendall Jones, Washington Beer Blog -
It's time to make plans for the 11th Annual Strange Brewfest. The celebration of quirky beers happens on January 23rd and 24th in Port Townsend. This year, the event takes place on Friday night and Saturday, and they decided to skip the Sunday session. Now that I have successfully secured my Strange Brewfest lodging, I feel comfortable issuing a reminder that you should do the same. Don't delay. The whole town will sell out.
To oversimplify things, I'll just say that Strange Brewfest encourages creativity. The beers range from slightly interesting to totally bizarre, from unexpected to ill-advised. Last year the Peoples Choice award for best beer went to 7 Bloody Seas, a spicy tomato beer. Sort of like a Bloody Mary, but not really, because it's a beer.
Strange Brewfest defies definition. It's a beer fest, sure, but it is also a lot more. It's an experience. It kind of always feels like something really weird is about to happen. Sometimes it does.
Packed house at the American Legion - Strange Brewfest.
Who knows what the brewers have in store for us this time around. Over the years, some of my favorite strange brews included: Grand Salami, from Anacortes Brewing, which actually tasted like a salami sandwich; Almond Roca Brown Ale from Flyers Brewery; Chocolate Orange Degenerator from Port Townsend Brewing; and, of course, the 7 Bloody Seas from 7 Seas Brewing.
There's more than beer going down at Strange Brewfest. The live music is always outstanding and you can expect too see fire dancing, hoola hooping, stilt walking, chainsaw carving, and more.
This is an indoor-outdoor affair. You'll find music and beer inside, with more beer, food, chainsaw carving and all the rest going on outside. Knock on wood, for the most part the first 10 Strange Brewfests have been blessed with good weather. Big tents, etc.
Tickets are available online for $30. At the door, for $35
Friday, January 23rd, 5:00 - midnight.
Saturday, January 24th, 1:00 - midnight
The American Legion
209 Monroe Street
Port Townsend, WA 98368
Participating Breweries (thus far):
- 101 Brewery - website
- 192 Brewing Co. - website
- 7 Seas Brewing - website
- Alpenfire Cider - website
- Amnesia Brewing - website
- Anacortes Brewery - website
- Bainbridge Island Brewing Co. - website
- Big Al Brewing - website
- Big Time Brewery - website
- Boundary Bay Brewing - website
- Brickyard Brewing - website
- Der Blokken Brewery - website
- Dungeness Brewing Co. - website
- Elysian Brewing Co. - website
- Finnriver Farm & Cidery - website
- Flyers Restaurant and Brewery - website
- Fish Brewing Co. - website
- Fremont Brewing Co. - website
- Georgetown Brewing Co. - website
- Hale's Brewery - website
- Laht Neppur Brewing - website
- Middleton Brewing - website
- Ninkasi Brewing Co. - website
- NW Peaks Brewery - website
- Outlander Brewery - website
- Pike Brewing Co. - website
- Port Townsend Brewing Co. - website
- Propolis Brewing - website
- Rainy Daze Brewing Co. - website
- Ram Brewing - website
- Silver City Brewery - website
- Slaughter County Brewing Co. - facebook
- Slippery Pig Brewery - website
- Sound Brewery - website
- Stoup Brewing - website
- Triplehorn Brewing - website
- Wingman Brewers, Inc. - website